Sunday, March 24, 2019

Tip, Tutorial, and Pie! Hands2Help 2019 Comfort Quilt Challenge

I recently signed up for Hands 2 Help 2019 Comfort Quilt Challenge, a charity quilt project hosted by Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. Starting in 2011, this project has provided quilts to over 1450 people! There are five charities to choose from, and I am making a quilt to go to Bernie's Mercyful Quilts. I made a quilt for this project in November 2018 (you can read about it here) and have wanted to do another one, so this is the perfect opportunity. There will be a few linkups in the process to complete a quilt by May 19, and this first one is for "Tips, Tutes, and Tasty Things". It is a way to get to know the participants by sharing one's favorite tip, tutorials, or recipes. I am sharing all three!

My favorite tip: I am a spray baste quilter, and Stephanie Palmer of Late Night Quilter has a great tip for smoother sandwiching that has helped me more than any other tip in quilting. This tip involves using a ruler as a pressing tool. After I spray baste all my layers together, I use an old 6.5 x 12 ruler on the top layer to gently push down and forward, lifting fabric and re-placing if I need to, and press wrinkles to the edge. Sometimes I do this on the floor, but if the quilt is small enough I can do it on my design board. Christa Watson did a guest post at Diary of a Quilter showing this method in MUCH more detail. You can find that link here. Using this method on both front and back of the quilt works beautifully for me!

My favorite tutorial: My first binding was done with the help of Amy at Diary of a Quilter. I used her tutorial and have never done it differently. Amy provides lots of photos and clear instructions. I love her method!

My favorite tasty thing: Cherry pie is my second favorite pie (gooseberry is number one!), and I normally make a lattice top crust for it. I concocted a streusel-topped version, and you can find it right here.

This post is linked to Hands2Help 2019 - Tips, Tutes, and Tasty Things!.

14 comments:

  1. That tip for using the ruler to smooth things out after spray basting is brilliant! I'll have to go read her post. I'm midway through my H2H projects - need to get them moving along this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't spray baste, but it's always nice to see another method for binding a quilt. Thanks for sharing for H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing what you do! I am getting closer to actually quilting something, if you can believe that. Months ago, perhaps longer, you sent me an email with the link on how to spray baste. I was reading that yesterday and thinking that this is something I can do. And, come this summer, I plan to! Keep being the great inspiration that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda! Y.U.M. That slice of pie looks deeeelicious. Even at 7:38 a.m. I would be happy to have a piece of pie. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip. I am spray baster and will try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don’t spray baste, but that tip looks handy. Your bindings are spot on, so I can see why you follow Amy’s method. And cherry pie? Yum that’s a big thing in Michigan, but I’ve never made one. Time to check out your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it Janine! I've heard about Michigan and cherries, so that's probably where I should live - lol!

      Delete
  7. I have never spray basted because I am afraid it will be to messy. You do this on the floor, like in the house? Maybe I am wrong? Do you use 505 or whatever it is? I am curious...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernie, I use June Tailor spray baste. I get mine at Hobby Lobby, but Joann Fabrics also has it. If I do it on the floor, I spread a sheet and do everything on that. If I do it on the design board, I spread a large bath towel beneath the board to catch any spray. I place a straight pin at the center of the top, bottom, and middles of the sides of the flimsy, the backing, and the batting. I position the quilt backing right side down on the board (no spray baste yet), then I use my ruler to completely smooth it, working from the center out. I lightly spray the top half of the backing and start placing the batting, matching straight pins, and start smoothing. I spray as I go, placing and re-placing as needed, all the way to the bottom. Then I give the top part of the batting a light spray and matching straight pins I position the flimsy and start smoothing. I use the ruler to smooth this step.
      Diary of a Quilter has a guest post by Christa Watson, and she shows much more detail of how she does this. I am going to update my post and add this link: https://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2018/01/spray-basting-tutorial-by-christa-watson.html

      Delete